All Lifeguard certification classes have been cancelled until further notice. Please visit our FAQs page for more information.
The Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification course teaches lifeguard candidates the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies at an aquatic facility. Upon successful completion of the course, each student will receive American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer valid for two (2) years.
To register, log in to your online account (new window) and select the appropriate class. If you do not have an online account, you will need to create an account (new window). For help, refer to our Online Account Management page. Please note that Georgetown University students, faculty, and staff do not need to create an account and can log in with a Georgetown NetID.
- Must be 15 years of age by completion of course.
- Ability to swim 300 yards continuously swimming demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing swimming freestyle and breaststroke.
- Ability to tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs.
- Ability to swim 20 yards of freestyle or breaststroke, submerge to 10 ft. and pick up a 10 lb object, holding it with both hands return 20 yards and exit pool in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Registration will be acknowledged on a first-come, first served basis.
- Registration must include valid payment for confirmation.
- Payment can be made online using a credit card.
- Classes that do not meet minimum enrollment numbers will be canceled.
- This is a Blended Learning course – all candidates must complete online coursework prior to the first day of class.
- Attendance is required for all classes within each session. No exceptions! Each session includes three (3) classes scheduled as below. The first class of each session will include prerequisite testing.
- Refund Policy: If a student does not pass the prerequisite training, all but $50 of the course fees will be refunded. No refunds will be issued to any registrant who withdraws on or after the scheduled class start (unless the registrant does not pass the prerequisite training).
Lifeguard Certification Courses
March Session CANCELLED Friday, March 27, 2020 | 6-9 p.m. (Includes pre-course testing)
Saturday, March 28, 2020 | 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Sunday, March 29, 2020 | 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
May Session CANCELLED Friday, May 1, 2020 | 6-9 p.m. (Includes pre-course testing)
Saturday, May 2, 2020 | 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Sunday, May 3, 2020 | 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
$200 Georgetown Students and Yates Members
Fee includes CPR pocket mask, book, and certification fee.
Yates Field House, Georgetown University
Minimum enrollment: 5 or class will be canceled.
Lifeguard Re-certification Courses
Participants in the Lifeguarding recertification course must have a current certification. Proof of prior training should be verified by showing an American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer certificates. Individuals whose certification has expired must take the full certification course again. Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR certificates are valid for two years.
Attendance is mandatory for all classes. No refunds unless the class is canceled.
includes the price of pocket mask, but not textbook.
minimum enrollment: 4